Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dahlias



In 1872, a box of mexican dahlias arrived in Holland.  Only one tuber survived, but it was a stunner.  The brilliant red bloom intrigued plant breeders.  They took up the challenge to improve on the import and continue their work to this day. 


 The American Dahlia Society now recognizes 15 different colors and color combinations; 18 different forms, from “miniature ball” to “incurved cactus”; and nine different sizes, from two inches to over ten inches in diameter. 

I grow my dahlias in large wire tomato cages.  By late August their bed will be as thick as a hedge and covered with color.  My favorite dahlia is blousy and orange.  As you will hear later, I am not its only admirer.

By evening, my right wrist aches, knees and hips resent being asked to move, my waist has shrunk back into its waistband.  The Velcro strip no longer heaves apart in an angry ode to an overfed winter.  For another year, I have met the planting deadline at the end of May.  After a long, solitary month of work, perennial beds are cleaned and weeded, annual beds prepared for a new season.  Over 400 baby plants, 70 calla roots, and a dozen dahlias are tucked in and ready to grow.  It is time to hand over the real work of summer to the garden itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment