Friday, February 7, 2014

Garden picnics


Elisa, my garden apprentice arrives on Thursday for our usual two hours of joint farm work.  The sweet smell of new mowed grass hangs in the morning air.  Instead of the customary schedule, I divert our morning’s work from food garden to flower beds.  I’ve invited twelve guests for a picnic on Sunday afternoon.  I want the place to look its best.  I’ve challenged each guest to bring a dish that’s produced locally.  I want to hear their opinions about the food and the farmers from whom they purchased.

At a recent international conference on food held in Italy, speakers discussed consumers’ main concerns about food supplies.  A report summarized their findings: consumers want authenticity, trust and knowledge in their farmers.  Scientists, of course, would prefer that we take a more analytical view of our food.  But everyday eaters want to rely on the basics: taste and relationships.  They prefer to trust sensory qualities relayed to their taste buds and a working relationship with their farmers. Hopefully, this combination will lead to superior food and nutrition. 


To lure friends and neighbors to the pleasure of good locally grown food, I hold several picnics each summer.  I remind myself of a flower enticing freindly bees to my colorful abode with the offer of sweet nectar.  Humans have lots of ways of bonding.  At my picnics I combine two favorites -- food and playful physical activity.  A set of bocce balls sits near the picnic table in their red canvas bag; local meat and fish is ready for the grill. 










No comments:

Post a Comment